Sunday, October 2, 2022

When I look at the sunset

 


Sometimes when I look at the sunset,

I want to grab it with both hands and keep it in my pocket.

To go outside & breathe it in.

Because windows don’t do sunsets any justice.

And curtains can make you oblivious,

whether you’ve drawn them yourself

or not.

It compels me to be there for it.

 

I need to, I think.

I may miss it.

I may look the other way one moment,

snatched by a thought, a person, a worry,

and turn back around

only to exhale in regret.

The sun has set,

the sky’s pink-orange hue has thinned out to blue-black-grey.

 

Now you understand why

I need to chase it,

‘till I get to sunset’s end

and a door is waiting for me to claim it.

The claiming period is a few minutes so best hurry.

Or I may have to wait for tomorrow.

 

Maybe that’s what sunsets are here for.

Not to cap the day

But to give a preview of tomorrow.

If ever there is one.


- Ivee B

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment